There are two museums
at Tikal, the Stelae Museum and the Sylvannus G. Morley Museum, which
houses some of the artifacts recovered at the dig by the University
of Pennsylvania. Ha Sawa
Chaan K’awil’s burial (number 116) is found within an enclosed replica
of the tomb in this museum, along with replicas of the jade- which are
found in the National Museum in Guatemala City.
However, the bones, seashells and ceramics are the actual originals
dug by Aubrey Trik in 1957. The
museum will soon be remodeled by IDAEH, who now has the funding to upgrade
Guatemalan archaeological museums.
The Stelae Museum was a rescue project of important stelae in Tikal to protect them from the natural elements, which were eroding the monuments. A full rounded sculpture, with a hieroglyphic text carved on its back, is also housed at the Stelae Museum, known as the Man of Tikal. A story of the dig at Tikal with photographs of the Era of Exploration and of the work of Pennsylvania University may also be appreciated in the exhibition.
The Tikal Visitor Center is a modern building, adjacent to the ancient Tikal Water Reservoir, close to where the hotels, camping area and parking lots were built in modern times. The Visitor Center consists of a high relief map of the ancient site, a restaurant, restrooms, gift shops and a post-office. Close to the parking lot a rancho, housing shops with Guatemalan highland’s textiles, may also be found. There are camping facilities at the park as well.
Index | Info | Arts | Sciences | Travel | Tikal Map | e-mail Us | References | Site Map